Monday, July 11, 2011

All you want is a little bit of nothing

Marjorie Barstow was the first person to graduate from F. M. Alexander's first training course in 1933. After working as A. R. Alexander's assistant in Boston and New York in the 1930's, she returned to Lincoln. She continued teaching until shortly before her death in 1995 at age 95.
http://marjoriebarstow.com/

I collect here some senteces I can connect in some way with my experience:
  • The Technique "acquaints individuals with the details for understanding the activities of the 'Primary Control', and also of observing habits of movement. When unnecessary pressures are noticed the pupil learns to re-direct that energy to release those pressures."
  • F.M. said, "Inhibition is receiving a stimulus to gain a certain end and refusing to react to it, thereby inhibiting the unsatisfactory habits of use associated with habitual reaction." My experience has proved to me that inhibition is an activity.
    (I would say:  inhibition is the activation and the sustainment of a particular "mental state" that somewhat corresponds to what Neuroscience refer as "task-negative network", "resting-state network" or "default mode network")
  • It is the delicacy of the movement that will give you your release.
    (You have to be able to move without disrupting the "resting-state" but in my personal experience and understanding there is also another reason)
 On end-gaining (we have to sustain that "task negative" network!):
  • I don't let you take all that time before you start because you're trying to feel you're right and that's endgaining.
  • When you give up--doesn't that mean you were looking for a position?
On movement inside inhibition:
  • You can't tell until you move it. You move it, then you feel it--and that's what you notice. When you fix it--you've lost it.
  • Pupil: "I move my head but I'm not sure."
    Marj: "You're never sure. You move your head and you see what happens."
  • When you don't feel some stiffening or pressure, you don't know what to do.
There is no right place, there is just a little bit more ease.

"All you want is a little bit of nothing"

No comments:

Post a Comment